Winter is coming! This tour visits locations associated with House Stark in the early seasons. The first visit of the day is Inch Abbey, the crumbling 12th century where Robb Stark became ‘King in the North’. Close by is Old Castle Ward, original location of Winterfell Castle in season 1. After lunch, you’ll enter the enchanting depths of Tollymore Forest which featured as the wood north of the Wall where the Night’s Watch find dismembered wildling bodies and as the Wolfswood where the Starks find the direwolf pups.
Covid-19 Safety Certified
07:45 Meeting time
Pickup point is the front door of Leonardo Hotel (formerly Jurys Inn), Great Victoria Street, Belfast BT1 6DY. The coach will arrive at 07:45. It will have ‘Eamonn Rooney’ written on the side.
08:00 Departure time
Depart from Leonardo Hotel for Inch Abbey, Downpatrick.
Inch Abbey: King in the North
Photo stop at the ruins of a 12th century Cistercian Abbey where Catelyn and Robb hear terrible news from King’s Landing and Robb’s bannermen pledge fealty to him as the ‘King in the North’. For those who want to get fully immersed in the mood of the North, in the trunk of the coach there are plenty of Northern cloaks, metal swords and Stark banners.
Morning trek at Winterfell (3km)
Old Castle Ward, a 16th century tower house and stableyard, is the film location of Winterfell in season 1. Nearby, on the wooded shores of Strangford Lough, an older, 15th century tower served as one of Walder Frey’s Twins and as the location of Robb’s Camp in the Riverlands. Other classic scenes filmed nearby include the spot where Brienne of Tarth dispatched three Stark bannermen and where Tyrion and Bronn were ambushed by the Stone Crows of the Vale.
Lunch at the Barn pub
On the coach trip from Belfast to Winterfell, we pass around a menu for pre-ordering hot food at the Barn, a pub in Saul – see https://www.thebarnsaul.com/. Alternatively, you can bring your own packed lunch. Lunch is not included in the ticket price.
Afternoon Trek in Tollymore Forest (3km)
Arrival at Tollymore Forest Park. This forest park, covering 630 hectares (1,600 acres) was used for many key scenes, including where Wills finds the dismembered bodies in the snow, Tyrion and Jon’s campfire on their journey north to the wall and the bridge where the Starks find a dead direwolf and her pups.
17:00 Arrive back in Belfast
Arrive back at Belfast city centre. Drop-off of all passengers.
- Although this is a coach tour, please note that this coach tour also includes two locations treks, one in the morning at Tollymore forest (3kms), the other in the afternoon at Castle Ward Estate (3kms).
- This tour is not recommended for young children or anyone with limited mobility.
- Please wear outdoor footwear, bring plenty of water and dress appropriately for the Northern Irish weather.
- Lunch is not included in the ticket price
- We offer 10% off for groups of 6+ people
- We will fully refund your payment card if you cancel up to 24 hours before your departure time. We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if you cancel your booking within 24 hours of the departure time.
Under 18 Policy
Please note that:
1. Game of Thrones® is full of adult content and is rated 18+ in the UK and Ireland
2. Our tours include walking treks, often over uneven surfaces, and
3. We have swords and other props on the coach
Accordingly, we do not permit children under the age of 12 to do any of our coach tours. This is why there is no children’s ticket price. If you purchase a ticket for a young person between 12 and 18, we need a written waiver from a parent or guardian. Please email us at [email protected], stating the Booking ID and young person’s age.